Saturday 29 September 2012

African love


I believe its about time African fashion gets the homage it deserves.
I first got inspired to create this post a few days back as I came across the blog African Prints in Fashion which led me onto another blog Nothing But The Wax, a French blog dedicated to African wax fabrics; Henceforth I embarked a mass research into african fashion and found myself enticed by the multiple modern African brands and labels I discovered.




Having Nigerian heritage I am familiar with the Yoruba attire; traditionally a Buba (blouse), Iro (wrap skirt), Gele (Head tie) and Ipele (Shawl/ Shoulder sash) comprises the outfit, as seen above.
However to be honest, I've always over looked the idea of there being a form of african fashion that I could wear on a day to day basis.

..................... But I have been proven wrong.








Christie Brown Ghana
A luxury label founded in 2008 that cultivates the style of a modern woman by adding a true taste of Africa!
I adore these outfits they're sleek, ladylike and altogether extremely Xquisite.






LadyHood
A fairly recent French originated brand, that sells bold, stylish and innovative home made outfits with wax print fabrics. I think I've developed an ongoing fashion fancy for this brand. Their styles are in vogue however unique and represent african culture with their bold and colourful prints, I could easily where these casually!



The J Label
Birthed through Jewel by Lisa, the J label is a unique brand for a youthful fashion concious, everyday girl; it is a combination between urban cool, afro-pop and cutting edge beautifully crafted clothes.







Tiffany Amber
Ever since the fall of 1998 Tiffany Amber has been creating timeless pieces for the modern african woman, showcasing ultra-feminine pieces with luxurious pieces
....."Ultra-Feminine", thats the perfect description for this label. I especially love the beautifully patterned dress just above, its fierce, cultural yet womanly. Love it!

So what about you?
Do you have a specific African fashion label you have a certain fashion fancy for? 
Is there a bold African print or Ankara fabric dress hidden in you wardrobe that, before now, you didn't appreciate the beauty of? 
If so then send links and pictures in the comments below!
I'd love to hear what you think!

Good day and God bless
Angel xx




No comments:

Post a Comment